Whether we mean to do damage or not, it is a fact that many of the things we do and the products we use affect the environment. But it’s not only possible, in fact it is quite easy to make simple small changes that will go a long way towards reducing the damage that is being done to the environment. Here are 10 going green tips you can use right now to help protect our environment.
1. Stop buying disposable cloths for cleaning. Instead get some soft cotton cloths. These can be easily washed and then re-used over and over again.
2. Refill plastic spray pump bottles as you run out instead of buying a new one. If you purchase cleaning products in bulk whenever possible, you can easily refill the smaller spray bottle.
3. Avoid products with excess packaging. Instead buy everything from spices to rice at bulk food stores.
4. You don’t have to use those aerosol sprays to keep your home odor free. You can make your own room deodorizer by combining lemon juice with water in a spray bottle. You can also put a container of baking soda in your kitchen garbage container and your refrigerator to cut down on odors.
5. Use products that are plant based instead of chemical based whenever possible to limit the impact on our environment.
6. Install a programmable thermostat and set it at a lower temperature during sleeping hours or whenever you are away from the house. You’ll save both money and energy.
7. And speaking of lower temperatures, there is another way to reduce energy usage while saving a few bucks. Try adding extra layers of clothing before you crank up the heat. Instead of t-shirts and bare feet in winter, opt for a cozy sweatshirt and socks.
8. Unplug your cell phone charger when you’re not actually charging your phone. As much as 95% of the energy used by cell phone chargers is wasted when it’s left plugged in.
9. Install a timer that will automatically turn lights off and on when you are not home. These can be used both indoors and outside. It saves energy and makes it look like someone is home even when you’re not.
10. Don’t put hot foods into a fridge. It uses a lot of energy bringing the food down to the right temperature. Instead, let food cool naturally to room temperature before putting it into your fridge.
These 10 going green tips can go a long way toward protecting our environment. And it won’t cost much to implement any of them. In fact you’ll end up saving far more than you spend.